Wonder where to go with the kids and what’s interesting to see while visiting Columbia? Here is a list of really fun, educational and healthy things to do during the weekend.
1. The Columbia Canal and Riverfront Park is the city’s secret jewel. At the confluence of 3 Rivers (Congaree, Broad and Saluda) and minutes from downtown, EdVenture and the State Museum, Riverfront Park is an oasis of outdoor relaxation, amazing history and abundant wildlife, the entire family can enjoy for free!
2. Visit the Congaree National Park, a world renown natural wonder, rich in history and biodiversity. Half an hour drive from Columbia, the swamp park is the world’s tallest deciduous forest and the country’s largest and few remaining old-growth floodplain forests. It features splendid cathedral like canopies, an amazing wildlife and miles of hiking, canoeing, camping and fishing along the mysterious Congaree river.
3. Edisto Memorial Gardens in Orangeburg - Imagine 150 acres filled with roses, azaleas, camellias and many other floral beauties spaced among Yoshino cherry, giant oaks and century old cypress trees. This is as close to Eden as you can ever get! Children will have a blast splashing in the 6,000 sqft Water Spray Park.
Activities under $5
1. Harbison State Forest: Columbia residents are spoiled with a 2000 plus acres “playground”, the largest public green spaces inside the city limits in Eastern United States. 16 miles of roads and trails weave through pine and hardwood forest crossing streams and descending through leafy glades to the Broad River. When the mountain bike trails are named Spider Woman and Firebreak that’s got to be fun!
2. Sesquicentennial State Park - unwind and relax in this beautiful park downtown Columbia. You can hike around the scenic lake trail or bike the 4 miles trail through the forest, canoe or paddle with the geese and ducks, and let your kids run wild at the 2 playgrounds, and the basketball and volleyball courts.
3. Lake Wateree State Park - This is a fisherman’s delight big on big blues, crappie, bream, large mouth bass, striped bass and night time cat-fishing. Other activities to enjoy: tubing, canoeing and kayaking, hiking the scenic Deportes Nature trail or plain old swimming. Of course there is nothing wrong with just laying around catching a nap or baking in the sun.
Activities under $10
1. EdVenture Children Museum - The South largest children museum and one of Carolina’s most attractive family friendly travel destinations. The four-story award winning museum will let kids 12 and younder explore the wonders of science, art, medicine, history and culture in a fun and exciting hands on environment.
2. State Museum - History, Hollywood, wildlife and science all under one roof! Experience the best South Carolina has to offer, like the full size replicas of the H.L Hunley submarine, “Best Friend of Charleston” the first American-built steam locomotive and the Cotton Mill operation machines.
3. Jumps-N-More inflatables bouncing playground - jump, bounce, climb, run, scream and everything in between! You get the idea. They do birthday parties and also have lots of equipment you can rent.
Activities under $15
1. Columbia Riverbanks Zoo - You are never bored at the Riverbanks Zoo. There is always some drama unfolding with the animals and people alike. Among the highlights (besides the animals): 3D Safari movies, pony rides and petting zoo, merry-go-around, climbing the bronze statues and train rides to and from the Botanical Garden.
2. The “Giant” Blue Sky Zip line at the Carolina Adventure World - The Blue Sky Line zip line is 1600 feet long and takes about a minute to ride. It’s fun, smooth and you feel like flying. Not to mention you get the best views of the entire park. This is definitely something the entire family can enjoy throughout the day.
Enjoy your family weekend in Columbia South Carolina!
Popularity: 11% [?]
K1 thru K8:
Filed Under: Columbia, Congaree National Park, EdVenture, Edisto Memorial Gardens, Free Things to Do, Harbison State Forest, Riverbanks Botanical Gardens, Riverbanks Zoo, Riverfront Park, SC State Museum, Sesquicentennial Park
Tags: Carolina Adventure World zipline, Carolina Adventure World zipline photo, Columbia family attractions, Columbia fun kids activities, Columbia fun photos, Columbia just for kids, Columbia Riverfront Park photos, Columbia weekend fun, Congaree National Park, Edventure Children Museum photos, Festival of Roses, Harbison State Forest, Jumps N More birthday party, Lake Wateree, Riverbanks Zoo, Riverfront Park, SC State Museum, Sesquicentennial Park, what to do with kids in Columbia