Hooray you are finally in Hilton Head but you don’t play golf. You read the travel guides and coupon books filled with dozens of attractions screaming at you “come see me”! Are you confused? I know how you feel. Been there, done that.
Here is my list of things to do that are fun, educational (some quite inspirational) and easy on your budget. Just in case, I’ve also included a Google Map with these family attractions.
Free kids activities
• Hilton Head Public Library - Read with Winnie and Tiger, bond with mom and test your skills at the computer stations.
• Coastal Discovery Museum - touch dolphin and turtle skulls, explore the marshes, cast a fishing net, wonder among live oak, palmetto, and loblolly pine trees and hear some amazing stories from the 1700s early days. Immerse into the fantastic Gullah art, folklore and traditions and learn a few Gullah words.
New in 2009! Wonder for free around beautiful butterflies like the Monarch, Gulf Fritillary, Zebra Longwing and Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.
Kids activities under $10
Note that to access Sea Pines Plantation you will need a $5 all day guest pass per car.
• Enjoy the lush maritime forests, pristine lakes and miles of walking and biking trails inside the Sea Pines Forest Preserve. Here you can try you fishing skills (get a free permit from CSA Security Center), learn about a centuries old rice plantation and visit a national treasure the 4,000 years old Indian Shell Ring.
• Walk among the mysterious Stoney-Baynard Ruins, were legend has it the owner’s ghost may still appear…
• Harbour Town Lighthouse at Sea Pines Resort ($3 admission, free for kids under 5) - a lighthouse that looks like candy! that’s sweet. Enjoy the excellent exhibits along the steps to the top like an original lighthouse station flag. While at Sea Pines say “Hello!” to the resort odd couple and swing, slide or climb the tree house at the cool playground.
• Look into your kids future at The Sandbox Interactive Children Museum ($6 admission). Well pretend at least! Be a pilot, movie director, chef, ship captain, train engineer, artist and much more.
Kids activities under $25
• Dolphin and Nature Cruise ($20 adults (with coupon) and $13 children) - 2 hours of total relaxation listening the colorful island stories, watching dolphins swim along and even witness a rescue (hat) attempt!
Popularity: 9% [?]
K1 thru K8:
Filed Under: Boating and Fishing, Children Museums, Free Things to Do, Fun Carolina Outdoor Recreation, Hilton Head, Hilton Head - Savannah, Historic Carolina Sites, Mystery Tales and Ghosts Sightings, Public Library, Sea Pines Plantation, Swimming, Walking and Jogging
Tags: affordable family atractions at Hilton Head, affordable Hilton Head children attractions, cheap things to do in Hilton Head, dolphin nature eco kayak tours and cruises, fun free things to do with kids at Hilton Head, Hilton Head children museum, Hilton Head Coastal Discovery Museum, Hilton Head dolphin cruise, Hilton Head free kids activities, Hilton Head Public Library, Hilton Head Sandbox Interactive Museum, Hilton Head tours prices maps and schedule, The Sandbox Children's Museum, what to do with kids at Hilton Head